Nutrition and Health Nugget- HDL -The good fat needed for our body-Taking control of Cholesterol
Have you gone for a full body check up? There are four health numbers which tells us how healthy or not healthy we are.
Blood Pressure-Which we have already covered in previous articles. The other three are Cholesterol, Blood Sugar and BMI or Body Mass Index.
The actionables in 'mindful eating ' includes -
Raising HDL-Eating more fruits and vegetables and the good fat found in avocados,fish and walnuts.
|Incorporating these food items on a regular basis will go a long way in taking care of your heart.|
- Fruits-Avocados,apples.(Be cautious with the serving since fruits have their portion of natural sugar too).
- All kinds of beans and legumes(Kidney beans,Chickpeas,lentils,red beans,black beans etc).
- Whole grain anytime every time-Bread or flour.
- Shift from whole milk to reduced fat or fat free. Some people also add water to their half glass of milk and then drink.Better than having 1 glass of whole milk.
- Mediterranean diet has gained considerable attention in today's time particularly because of its being heart friendly.
- Such diet is widely eaten in Greece, Spain, southern Italy and France, and other countries that border the Mediterranean Sea.The Mediterranean diet emphasizes eating foods like fish, fruits, vegetables, beans, high-fiber breads and whole grains, nuts, and olive oil. Meat, cheese, and sweets are very limited. The recommended foods are rich with monounsaturated fats, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. The fats therefore found in the Mediterranean diet are mainly from unsaturated oils such as fish oils, olive oil, and certain nut or seed oils (such as canola, soybean, or flaxseed oil) and from nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, and almonds). These types of oils may have a protective effect on the heart. Though OIL in general is a concern.
1 tsp-Canola oil has 120 calories. Just imagine how much calories gets added just by cooking in oil.
- Reading food labels is necessary and avoid food having trans fat and saturated fats. Avoid food high in sodium and sugar.
- Limit intake of meat and dairy products. Red meat, eggs, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, salad dressings are all high in fat unless the food label reads otherwise
- Avoid alcohol. Most of fruit juices, soft drinks have high content of added sugar. One should definitely avoid that.
- Read for hidden sodium too in the food label and avoid. Be careful about using products that have these ingredients-Monosodium glutamate, or MSG (often added to Chinese food)Sodium citrate,Sodium sulfite,Sodium caseinate,Sodium benzoate,Sodium hydroxide,Disodium phosphate.
- Exercise 30 minutes daily.
- Do not compromise on your 6-7 hours of sleep.
- Sava Sana is excellent for people undergoing stress.
- Disclaimer-The aim of this article is not to provide/suggest any medical advice, diagnosis or any kind or treatment.