Mindful Eating- Recipe- Burnt Garlic spreads over Black Eyed Bean and Cracked Wheat stir fry.
I can't get enough of cracked wheat. Weekdays lunch are all about tossing various ingredients together to form a 'healthy bowl'.
Cracked Wheat has taken me over completely and I don't mind it either.This one uses the boiled cracked wheat with parboiled black-eyed beans and toss it in Indo-Chinese flavours along with chopped vegetable and burnt garlic.
Preparation Time-20 mins (included the time taken to boil cracked wheat).
Cook time-10 mins
Total time-30 mins.
Recipe for -Lunch preferably
Serves- 2 adults
1.5 cup of cracked wheat
1 cup of black eyed bean ( soaked overnight)
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped bell pepper
½ onion chopped
6-8 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 green chilli finely chopped
2 tsp of soya sauce
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 stick of green onion for garnishing.
salt as per taste
- Wash the cracked wheat and boil on medium heat. Water should be added with caution. Just enough to immerse the grains and 1/2 inch above the grains.
- Once boiled, take them out in a container, allow to cool and refrigerate. Next morning you will find the grains to be separated and dry which is exactly how we want to make this recipe.
- The soaked black-eyed beans need to be boiled in water till they turn tender. Add just enough water that all of it get used for boiling and none to throw away.That ways you don't get to discard any nutrition of this highly nutritious bean.
- Its garlic time now. Heat oil in a pan and add in the finely chopped garlic and saute on medium flame until browned.
- Once done, add green chili. Put the flame on high. Next add all the vegetables and sauté them for a minute.
- Now add black eye beans and cracked wheat grains to it. Mix well while on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the sauces one by one. Mix well. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for two more minutes. Be careful to keep stirring occasionally.
- This entire process should take you not more than 7-10 minutes. Garnish with green onion and serve. I didn't have green onion so couldn't garnish it well. :(
Things to remember
Cracked Wheat can become mushy if excess water is added. That will ruin the entire preparation. This process is the most crucial hence ensure only 1/2 inch of water above the grains while putting it to boil.
You can skip the step of cooling and refrigerating the cracked wheat. I do so because Indo-Chinese recipes requires the rice or the noodle or any grain to be well separated. If you use the rice or any grain just post boiling it, it tends to be mushy which may ruin your preparation.
You can add vegetables of your choice. Since it is a black-eyed bean based recipe I limited my vegetables and let the bean take over as the main lead. :)
If making this for kids, omit the green chilli and balance the spices. Finely chopping the vegetables makes it easy for the kids.