Mindful Eating- Namakpaare- The goodness of whole wheat and flaxseeds
Namakpaare has been existing in our homes since our grandma's time. I added a little twist to it so that the flax seeds benefits find a way into my little one's tummy while he munches on this snack item.
It’s important to note that I have used whole wheat flour(atta) for this snack. Normally it is made out of all-purpose flour(maida) which is not my favorite, though. I thought to give this snack a whole wheat treatment :)
Cuisine - Indian
Preparation time – 20 mins
Cook time-1 hour
Total time-1.5 hours
Serves - 500 gms of namakpaare
2 cup of whole wheat flour
½ cup of ground flaxseeds
2 tsp of carom seeds
Salt to taste
¼ tsp of baking powder
3 tsp oil while we are making the dough.
Water as needed.
Oil to fry.
- Take all the ingredients in a wide container. Mix the flour well with salt, flaxseeds, carom seeds and oil. Ensure that no lumps are formed.
- Add water and knead a firm but a smooth dough. Make five big portions of the dough into a flat ball shape.
- Take each ball and roll them into 8 inch or 9-inch circle. Remember not to make it very thin.
- Take a knife and cut the rolled dough into pieces as shown in the picture. You can cut them into your desired shape too.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Since these have to be fried properly, ensure that the pan has sufficient oil for these paaras to submerge.
- To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should make the oil sizzle and come up slowly. If it happens, then the oil is ready.
- Do not crowd the pan with the paaras. Place just enough of them so that you can comfortably turn them around. These have to be fried till they are crisp and golden brown.
- Take the first batch out and put it on a paper towel. Initially, they will look and taste soft but once they come at room temperature, they will become crisp.
- Store it in an airtight container for a month.