I had been thinking for some time to include a wholesome salad as one of the meals (preferably lunch) during the working weekday, both for myself and my husband. Just a salad. No Oil. Just fiber and vitamins.
Black eyed beans or as they call Lobia in India isn't my favorite. Made the Lobia way (the Delhi-masala Lobia recipe) they never fascinated me much, but I still cooked considering their fair advantage. It was long brewing in my mind that I need to do some variation so that we get to enjoy this bean heartily.
Black-eyed Beans-One of the biggest advantage that comes from Black eyed beans is their fibre content. One cup of dry black eyed beans, which when cooked gives us 10.2 g of fibre, 478 mg of potassium ,13.4 g of protein and 2.4 mg of iron. Not to forget that they are low in calorie and fat content.
I would suggest everyone to include this salad as part of one of their meals to start with. This can be eaten for lunch or dinner. I complemented these with steamed broccoli to make the meal more full. Having this as a dinner option with some grilled vegetable for the vegans or baked/grilled chicken or fish for non vegans can make it simple and easy to cook, time saving, energy saving and 'mindful eating.
Preparation Time- 20 Min's (The chopping of vegetables is done by my veg chopper so I save time there. Also I am not including the overnight soak time of the beans.)
Cook time - 15-20 minutes
Total time taken - 40 minutes.
Recipe- Lunch/Dinner when combined with a heartier portion of baked vegetables or grilled meat/fish.
Cuisine-Also Indian now :). They say it was the ancient Greek and Roman people who first developed a liking for these green mixes with dressing .I say we all love a hearty salad in today’s times.
Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
1.5 cup black eyed bean
½ cup finely chopped carrots
½ cup green bell pepper chopped
½ cup steamed corn
1/3 cup chopped cucumber
1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup baby spinach leaves
½ tsp green chili finely minced
¼ cup chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves or mint leaves(whichever flavor you prefer)
Half cut lemon juice
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Soak the black eyed beans overnight.
- In the morning drain off the excess water and put these beans to boil. I prefer to do this in an open pot with a lid. In the pressure cooker, these beans get way too soft and become mushy even though cooked over one whistle.
- Add one bay leaf and salt (as per your taste). It's about getting the flavor permeate through these beans.
- 15 Min's boiling and you would see that these beans have become soft and tender yet retaining their shape.
- Hopefully there shouldn't be any water really left. In case there is, please use a sieve and take out the beans. Put them in a large bowl over a bed of spinach leaves.
- Add all the vegetable now tossing it gently.
- Dress the salad with lemon juice, black pepper, balsamic vinegar and green chilies.
- Cover it with a foil paper and refrigerate for an hour. Meanwhile, you can steam the broccoli florets and serve along with this salad.
Some tips for adding your own twist-
- You can add vegetable of your choice-beetroot, kale leaves, lettuce, red/yellow bell pepper but remember that too many vegetables at the same time may make the black eye bean feel lost :). Limit the variety to four or five chopped vegetables.
- You can play around with the dressing as per your taste preferences. Some may prefer mayonnaise,Olive oil or Ranch dressing. My advice would be to go slow with these dressing because of their enormous calorie, fat and cholesterol content. If you are going with tfat-freeree over the counter dressing, do check the sodium content. Accordingly, I would suggest you not to add salt because the salad dressing would be having enough salt to cover up.
- This salad recipe can be used for various kinds or legume/beans salad such Fava beans,Pinto beans,Kidney beans,Chickpeas,Lima beans etc. We just need to keep in mind that cooking either in a pressure cooker or a pot,refrain from adding too much water. Just enough to make them tender .Draining the water later drains away all the nutrition.
- You can choose not to refrigerate and eat the salad.